Friday, February 27, 2009

Safely Home

Thanks for your prayers. I made it home safely last night at about 9. The traffic wasn't too bad in Atlanta. It was a good (brief) visit to Alabama. I had lunch with my friend Teresa and then we headed for the funeral. It was good just to be there to give Pamela a hug.
As everyone started to leave the internment she muttered, "I guess it's that time where everyone goes back to their lives and forgets about our grief." She later told Teresa to bulldoze into her life and make sure she's ok. I've learned about how to help those grieving from Pamela and this is it: even though you offer to help, most people will never take you up on it. You have to bulldoze into their lives. Due to the individualistic nature of our society, we're often uncomfortable with this concept. However, she said the best thing was when people randomly showed up on their doorstep with a meal or showed up at the hospital just to sit with them. So I am going to start trying it, quit waiting for people to call and just start helping, just start being there for others.

No comments: