Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Routine Change

As a child and teenager you could barely get me to quit reading but as an adult I've never really taken much time to set aside for reading. I think college gave me reading burn out. I can count on one hand the number of books I've finished since I've been married. I know that's pretty pathetic.
I've started reading more lately and it's because of a change of bedtime routine. Up until last month it was quite predictable; Steven would stay up reading and I would be out as soon as my head hit the pillow. Lately though I will lie there for 30-40 min trying to go to sleep. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. I think it's my thyroid. You see, last summer I found out that my thyroid was a little slow. I was practically falling asleep at my desk at work. If I sat down for too long after dinner I would be out in a heartbeat. I began medication to make up for its lack of activity and I think it's just now found a balance. Now, I can't go to sleep if I don't read for about 20 minutes until I get drowsy.

All that to say, I need some book suggestions. I just finished Scouting the Divine by Margaret Feinburg. It was really interesting and brought agricultural scriptures to life. I am about to start Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall, Denver Moore, and Lynn Vincent.

What should I read after that?

3 comments:

About Our Family said...

Don't have any book suggestions, but I'm loving that you're posting more often! :) Oh, but if you want to try a fiction story, I just finished "Thorn in My Heart." It's based the story of Rachel and Leah in the Bible- it's provoked me to think about them as real people more than just characters- to think about how they felt. Pretty interesting...

Cortney said...

Hey Michelle! I have enjoyed reading your blog :) You are soooo creative! :)

I just finished reading "Faithful Women and their Extraordinary God" by Noel Piper. It was really great!

Hope you are doing well! :)

Oh, and we are going to go to Chipotle in Greenville next weekend when we go to see Wicked! Woohoo!

Tim Halbert said...

The Broker by John Grisham....

No redeeming virtue, just a good read. Also, you can borrow it from your father-in-law......