Thursday, February 25, 2010

Decorative Candles

While we were in Cape Cod, I saw an adorable candle holder in one of those high priced gift shops. I looked at the $24 price tag and knew I could make one cheaper. With my sweet friend Pamela's birthday coming up I looked for some ribbon with Auburn colors and gave it a try.



You can make one to match anything you'd like.
You'll need:
-Glass votives
-Ribbon: I used 2 yards. You may need more or less depending on the size of your candles. You'll need 20 inches for each bow plus enough to wrap on either side of your candles. If you live in Greenville, Wilson's 5 and 10 has a wonderful selection of ribbon. Grosgrain ribbon tends to hold up a little better than satin ribbon. It's probably best to use ribbon that's the same front and back as well so that it doesn't look funny when you tie the bows.
-Sewing Machine


I folded my ribbon in half and measured about 10 inches for the first bow. I then pinned the first section for sewing (see diagram and picture below). I then put a candle in and pinned the other side of it and continued to do so for the other 2 candles.




Sew where you've pinned. I sewed to the outer side of the pin because when I sewed right where I pinned it was a little tight trying to get the candle in. I checked to make sure the candle fit after sewing each section.

Clip where you folded the ribbon in half and tie a bow on each end and you have a simple, cute, and inexpensive gift or decoration.

10 comments:

w and js mommy said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh love it!!! you should offer that up as part of your wedding packages to for the bridesmaids--just a thought! OR one of your good friends bdays is approaching--heh hem!

About Our Family said...

So cute!!!

Corletta said...

You kill me! I swear...when will you not be so home makery?!?!?! Anyways...expect a call from me soon!

Cortney said...

Soooo cute...and I love the navy and orange :)

About Our Family said...

I left a reply to your comment on my blog :). I wasn't sure if it would notify you or not... love you!

Rachelle A. said...

Cute! Where did you get the pink ribbon that is in the last photo? It looks very similar to the fabric we used to cover the door that makes the table top for my desk. It would be fun to have coordinating ribbon for desk accessories!

Kelly Miller said...

Very cute! How do you get the bows to turn out so pretty? Also do you think you have to sew these? I have some fabric glue ...

I'm glad you liked my bird feeder. We sat still as statues at lunch and the birds finally came around. It's really difficult to keep a 2-year-old from screeching, though.

Alea Milham said...

What a cute idea! I am going to file this away for my daughter's graduation party.

About Our Family said...

Sigh... I'm still waiting for more cute ideas.... :)

Rebecca said...

This is a very neat idea. I need to do this -- after all, next week IS spring break! And I'm going to shoot off a link to my engaged niece, just in case she thinks it could be something wedding-y. (Comment #1 made me think that.)

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on the spinach/artichoke dip. DO try it...you won't be disappointed!