Sunday, April 18, 2010

Running for a good cause



Running...it's my arch nemesis. We have a love hate relationship. I love the results and hate the process. I used to run with my roomie, Lindsay, and I was so slow that she would run ahead several miles and then run back and walk at the end with me.

I tried to rekindle this relationship with running while we lived in Auburn. I even bought fancy shoes and cool running socks to try and impress running. It didn't work. With no end goal our relationship fizzled and I gave up when winter came around.

It's an on again off again relationship.

When we moved back to Greenville I tried running at the park and couldn't even run 1/4 mile. Yes, it was pathetic, so we broke up again.

Until 5 weeks ago when our church announced they were having a 5k to raise money for missions. There was a long lost spark beckoning me back to rekindle my relationship with running.

I've been training for the last 5 weeks using Couch to 5k and Robert Ullery's podcasts and you know...it hasn't been terrible.

I think my relationship with running grew cold over time because I pushed too hard too fast. With this program you work up your endurance. Today I ran two 8 minute stretches with a 5 minute walk in between...and I didn't want to die the whole time. I could breathe, I didn't give up, and I didn't collapse when I got home. It's pretty exciting!

If you're interested in participating in the 5k you can download the registration form on Edwards Road's website. It's under "Click here for more news" and it's the 6th announcement down for the Beautiful Feet 1 mile walk and 5k run. It will take place on May 22nd at Furman University.

I have a 20 min run on Tuesday. Pray that I'll have the endurance I need to complete the run!
People have asked what my goal time is...survival. I just want to be able to run the whole 3.1 miles no matter how long it takes me!

1 comment:

Corletta said...

I love it! I am so proud of you. I hate when people ask you about time. I always say..."I just want to finish it." You can do it Meechelle!!! Let me know how I can help!