Monday, March 14, 2011

Where I've been...

... and where we are.

Overwhelmed, to say the least. No one really tells the truth about parenthood before you leap in with both feet.

I'd love to write about each of these things in our lives in detail but here's an overview of the last 3 months.

Sophie: Went for her 2 month check up and she hadn't gained weight appropriately. All she did was scream for her 2nd month of life. Apparently she wasn't eating enough. We introduced more food by pumping after each feeding. She still screamed bloody murder. She has reflux. Now we give her Zantac twice a day and she's eating much better. We have a fun song about her that we sing often to the tune of Spiderman:

Sophie Lane, Sophie Lane, the craziest baby that ever came.
You eat, you sleep, you cry and poop.
That's all you do but you're pretty cute.
Sophie Lane, you're the craziest thing.

Nursing: Sophie hates it. I went to a lactation consultant and learned she's just learned to prefer a bottle so we pump. She's eating and growing and I don't really care how she gets it anymore. Nursing is a beautiful bonding experience and I wish it worked for us but it didn't. It just resulted in Sophie screaming and me crying and poor Steven looking bewildered.

Sleep: Sophie is good about going to sleep in the day it's the staying asleep part that she needs some work on. Naps range from 45 min-2 hours depending on her mood. She'll sleep 6-7 hours at night but I usually have to get up and pop her paci in a 2-3 times during the night before she really wakes up to keep her asleep. Sometimes she tries to get up at 5 am and I give her snack and put her back to bed but she'll usually wake up between 6-8.

Sophie's personality: She's a little high strung and an unfortunately too much like me. I really hoped she'd have Steven's even keel personality.

What's she's doing these days: Reaching for toys, talking a lot, sucking on her hands all the time. They're her new favorite toy.

Cloth Diapering: LOVE IT!

Steven: Has had a rough couple of weeks at work. He had to lay some people off and now he's trying to balance his job and someone elses.

Me: I miss sleep and freedom. I've worn the little coffee cup picture off on the Keurig machine because I've pushed it so many times. Sometimes I think I have postpartum depression and sometimes I'm great. Started running this week and I can still run 1 mile but I'm slow. I hope to run a 10k this year.

I would love to write more and share about our lives but I'd proably regret being entirely honest and come back and delete it later so I'll leave you with the basics.

4 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

love you, michelle! and thank you for being honest! if you ever want to get together, i'd love for you and sophie to come over. we can talk while elliot plays. he was such a difficult baby and we had a really rough first year. but we made it through and he's a sweetie(most of the time) now. i'd love to chat more with you.

hang in there!

Cortney said...

Girl, I totally know how you feel. The first few weeks with SA were a breeze, then all of the sudden she decided she never wanted to put down and never wanted to sleep...Oh, I cried and even called my mom one time and she left work in Atlanta to come stay with me for a few days. But, it does get easier and you will make it...and as far as the personality, SA is definitely our little diva and I see so much of myself in her--but it has made her such a spunky and funny toddler! But, now we are on to trying to survive being two--Being a parent is definitely the hardest job in the world, but it also the most rewarding! Let me know if you want to ever take a day trip out of town--Columbia's not too far :)

Lindsay said...

Michelle,
You're doing a great job! Hang in there! Can't promise stress and sleep deprivation will ever go away, but the moments to cherish get sweeter with age! The first time she looks at you and says "Momma", your heart will melt!

Rebecca&Seth said...

Hey Michelle-
Sorry to hear that things are still rough for you. I hope it gets easier soon. Love you!